The exact cause is still unknown, but it’s thought the loss of estrogen confuses the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that regulates body temperature. Solutions aren’t perfect, but some women find relief by reducing sugar, alcohol, and caffeine, practicing meditation or acupuncture, or ueven sing herbal remedies. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been proven to be the most effective treatment against hot flashes. If you would like to explore treatments with a specialist physician, our Whole Health plan includes care and lab testing to personalize treatment to you.
Articles in this section
- How do I know if I have low testosterone?
- What is testosterone?
- Are the hormone laboratory tests the same as what I would get from my doctor?
- I have no interest in sex. Is there some way to get my desire back?
- Why does sex hurt? Why do I feel so dry?
- I have terrible anxiety, especially first thing in the morning. Is this normal?
- Why do doctors mean by "hormone fluctuations"?
- What is HRT or hormone replacement therapy?
- Is hormone replacement therapy (HRT) safe?
- What causes hot flashes and how do I get rid of them?