A PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests checks for genetic material (viral RNA) produced by the virus. This determines if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others.
Articles in this section
- How is a COVID-19 PCR test performed?
- What is a COVID-19 PCR test?
- Who should get a COVID-19 PCR test?
- Someone I was around has symptoms of COVID-19 or has been diagnosed with it. Should I get a PCR test?
- Are there any limitations to COVID-19 PCR tests?
- What will my COVID-19 PCR test results tell me?
- When can a COVID-19 PCR test detect the virus?
- How do I know if the COVID-19 PCR test is accurate and reliable?