This test may not detect the virus in early stages of infection. Furthermore, the virus may not be detected if the sample is not collected as directed. Although the possibility is low, a false negative result should be considered if you have had recent exposure to the virus along with symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
Articles in this section
- How is a COVID-19 PCR test performed?
- What is a COVID-19 PCR test?
- Who should get a COVID-19 PCR test?
- Someone I was around has symptoms of COVID-19 or has been diagnosed with it. Should I get a PCR test?
- Are there any limitations to COVID-19 PCR tests?
- What will my COVID-19 PCR test results tell me?
- When can a COVID-19 PCR test detect the virus?
- How do I know if the COVID-19 PCR test is accurate and reliable?